Twenty-five percent of Americans report having neck pain. In fact, neck problems are the third leading cause of chronic pain in the United States. Chronic pain by definition is pain that lasts over 90 days. The neck is a vital part of the body and pain, numbness and tingling left untreated can lead to anxiety, depression and fatigue. With proper treatment by Dr. Joshua you can find immediate relief from your neck pain and get back to your day-to-day activities and live a functional life.
Causes of neck pain
There are a number of reasons why you may be experiencing pain in your neck. Dr. Joshua notes that neck problems typically result from:
- Poor posture. People pay scant attention to their posture. Bending over for long periods of time such as working on your computer can cause neck pain. In addition, sleeping in a poor postural position can cause the vertebrae in the neck to become unaligned. Dr. Joshua can realign the vertebrae and provide you with immediate relief of your neck pain.
- Whiplash. A sudden acceleration or deceleration of the neck, that is, a sudden jerk forward or backward can cause damage to the muscles, ligaments or tendons in your neck. These are common with motor vehicle accidents, but atheletes are also subject to whiplash. Dr. Joshua can provide spinal adjustments to remedy partial displacement of the vertebrae, along with providing therapeutic massage and therapeutic exercises to resolve soft tissue injuries, alleviate painful symptoms and improve full range of motion of the neck.
- Deteriorating joints. With age, the joints in the neck are affected by normal wear and tear which can lead to osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is a joint dysfunction that primarily affects cartilage resulting in neck pain, decreased range of motion and even bone spurs. Dr. Joshua can help remedy the associated neck pain by manipulating the joints in the cervical spine as well as providing therapeutic massage to diminish your neck pain.
How does Dr. Joshua treat patients with neck pain?
Dr. Joshua performs a physical examination on first time patients as well as takes a patient’s past medical history in order to properly diagnose your neck problems. Once a cause has been determined, Dr. Joshua develops a treatment plan especially for you to provide you with relief of your neck problem(s).
What are the treatments for neck pain?
- Manual muscle manipulation. Dr. Joshua uses his or hands or alternatively a small tool to manipulate your muscles and other soft tissues. Manual therapy of this nature not only eliminates knots and kinks in your muscles, but also is a therapeutic method for treating your neck pain.
- Spinal adjustments. Dr. Joshua will adjust your cervical spine for the purpose of realigning vertebrae into their correct anatomical position leading to relief of neck pain.
- Dr. Joshua can plan an exercise regimen tailored to your specific needs to strengthen your core muscle groups. This is important for preventing future neck problems which can lead to a more functional life with regard to activities of daily living.
Dr. Joshua can help you with your neck pain and get you on the right road to a pain free life. Simply call (949) 784-4507 for an appointment or click here to make your appointment online now.