Migraines make it nearly impossible to perform one’s normal activities of daily living. According to research, approximately a full one-fourth of people in the Irvine area suffer from migraine headaches. With the onset of a migraine there is little one can do but ride it out. Medication does temper some of the pain but long-term of medications can lead to other problems. Your professional chiropractor at the Irvine Pain and Posture Correction Clinic in Irvine is able to provide you with effectual treatment without bothersome and potentially harmful drug prescriptions.
What are the causes of migraines?
Although the causes of migraines are yet to be completely understood, there are several factors that are contributors or triggers. These include but are not limited to:
- Contemporary lifestyles result in a considerable amount of stress at work and at home. Eliminating stress is a great step towards reducing migraines.
- Physical influences. After an intense exercise regimen migraines may occur. Vigorous sexual activity can also be a trigger.
- Nitroglycerin, some oral contraceptives and vasodilators that widen the blood vessels causing a decrease in vascular resistance and an increase in blood flow can be triggers.
- Sensory stimuli. Strobe lights, bright lights, and sun glare are also known triggers. In addition, unusual or strong smells such as intense perfumes and colognes, paint thinner and cigarette smoke may induce migraines.
- Foods high in sodium and processed foods are triggers. In addition, fasting and missing meals are also triggers. Examples of foods include nuts, chocolate, instant soups and aged cheeses.
- Caffeinated drinks, especially those high in caffeine can trigger migraines. In addition, wines and beer can spark migraines.
After looking at the triggers, you may be resigned to just suffer the pain and discomfort of migraines. At the Irvine Pain and Posture Correction Clinic, we take pride in helping reduce the severity and frequency of migraine attacks, especially with regard to cases of common migraines.
What is the treatment for migraines?
Many people in the Irvine area as well as throughout the United States endure the pain and discomfort, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Your chiropractor at the Irvine Pain and Posture Correction Clinic will provide you with a full physical examination and take your medical history. Your trigger or triggers will be identified and a treatment plan will be developed specifically for you. Lifestyle modification is one of the treatments as well as proper nutritional guidance. In addition, spinal manipulation and physical therapy are used to treat migraines and reduce their frequency.
At the Irvine Pain and Posture Correction Clinic, we understand your lifestyle limitations from the pain and discomfort of migraines. Your Irvine chiropractor offers safe, effective and non-invasive treatment. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms and believe you suffer from the pain and discomfort of migraines, call us for an initial consultation with a chiropractor at the Irvine Pain and Posture Clinic at (949) 784-4507. We will be happy to schedule you with an appointment.